- This event has passed.
Art Tours: Joe Gray
October 23 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm$15
Alnoba is pleased to offer this unique opportunity for an artist-lead tour of pieces from our collection.
Joe Gray is a NH sculptor who has been working with stone for four decades. Gray has more pieces in Alnoba’s extensive outdoors art collection than any other artist. His unique, spiritually-inspired sculptures can be found nestled across our campus.
On October 23, join Joe Gray to walk Alnoba’s forested trails. You’ll hear directly from the artist about the inspiration behind his work as he brings you to view each of the pieces he has in our collection. Ask questions, share your thoughts, and get inspired!
Gray creates his pieces using the ancient, hands-on technique of hammer and chisel. “There are thousands of chips of stone lying around my sculpture,” he says. “I have taken an eight ton block of granite and turned it into a small girl walking out of fire in a Holocaust tribute. To most people that would seem impossible. I do not think that way.”
As part Abenaki, Gray believes his Native American background plays a key role in his art. “It connects me with the earth and nature… When I am carving an ancestor or spirit animal, I do not know what I am carving when I start. I can feel my ancestors guiding me. It is a spiritual experience for me and I lose myself in every sculpture.”
Space limited to 12 people. Advanced reservations required.
- Meet Joe in the parking lot at 10AM. The tour will leave promptly at 10AM, so arrive in plenty of time. Guests who arrive after the tour has departed will be asked to leave the property.
- Tour guests are required to wear masks. Please note that Joe might not be wearing a mask, to facilitate his being heard while projecting his voice outside.
- Please observe social distancing protocols by remaining six feet apart from any guests who are not part of your household. It’s okay to step off trails into the woods to do this!
- No dogs allowed.
- Hiking shoes and casual attire recommended.
- Alnoba’s art is as lovely in a light rain as it is on a sunny day. Our tours are not cancelled unless thunderstorms or heavy rain are predicted.
All proceeds are donated to support Kensington’s Sawyer Park.