Alnoba Art Tours with Joseph Gray
December 14 @ 9:00 am - 10:30 am$25
Join sculptor Joseph Gray for an exclusive artist-led tour of Alnoba’s eclectic, international outdoor art collection.
Alnoba is pleased to offer this unique opportunity for an artist-lead tour of our collection. Join NH sculptor Joseph Gray to walk Alnoba’s forested trails and hear directly from the artist about the inspiration behind his work. Ask questions, share your thoughts, and get inspired!
Gray has been working with stone for four decades and has more pieces in Alnoba’s extensive outdoors art collection than any other artist. His unique, spiritually-inspired sculptures can be found nestled across our campus.
Your tour will include both Gray’s work and his unique insights into other pieces by internationally renowned artists in the Alnoba collection.
Gray creates his pieces using the ancient, hands-on technique of hammer and chisel. “There are thousands of chips of stone lying around my sculpture,” he says. “I have taken an eight ton block of granite and turned it into a small girl walking out of fire in a Holocaust tribute. To most people that would seem impossible. I do not think that way.”
As part Abenaki, Gray believes his Native American background plays a key role in his art. “It connects me with the earth and nature… When I am carving an ancestor or spirit animal, I do not know what I am carving when I start. I can feel my ancestors guiding me. It is a spiritual experience for me and I lose myself in every sculpture.”
NOTES AND GUIDELINES
Space limited to 15 people. Advanced reservations required.
- Meet Gray in the parking lot at 9AM. The tour will leave promptly at 9AM, so arrive in plenty of time. Guests who arrive after the tour has departed will be asked to leave the property.
- Masks are recommended but not required for this all-outdoor event.
- Please observe social distancing protocols by remaining six feet apart from any guests who are not part of your household. It’s okay to step off trails into the woods to do this.
- No dogs allowed.
- Hiking shoes and casual attire recommended.
- Snowshoeing will be allowed if there is snow on the ground. You may bring your own snowshoes. Alnoba has a limited selection of snowshoes available to borrow.
Tickets $25 . All proceeds are donated to support Kensington’s Sawyer Park.
Tickets are non-refundable. Please note that all events at Alnoba are rain or shine. If an event is cancelled due to extreme weather you will receive an email notification. If you do not get an email notifying you that the event is cancelled, that means the event is still going forward as scheduled.