Alnoba Art Tours with Joseph Gray
October 18 @ 9:30 am - 11:30 am$25
Tickets $25 per person. All proceeds donated to support Kensington’s Sawyer Park.
Join NH sculptor Joseph Gray to walk Alnoba’s forested trails and hear directly from the artist about the inspiration behind his work. Ask questions, share your thoughts, and get inspired!
Gray has been working with stone for four decades and has more pieces in Alnoba’s extensive outdoors art collection than any other artist. His unique, spiritually-inspired sculptures can be found nestled across our campus.
Your tour will include both Gray’s work and his unique insights into other pieces by internationally renowned artists in the Alnoba collection.
Gray creates his pieces using the ancient, hands-on technique of hammer and chisel. “There are thousands of chips of stone lying around my sculpture,” he says. “I have taken an eight ton block of granite and turned it into a small girl walking out of fire in a Holocaust tribute. To most people that would seem impossible. I do not think that way.”
As part Abenaki, Gray believes his Native American background plays a key role in his art. “It connects me with the earth and nature… When I am carving an ancestor or spirit animal, I do not know what I am carving when I start. I can feel my ancestors guiding me. It is a spiritual experience for me and I lose myself in every sculpture.”
Notes and guidelines
Space limited to 15 people. Advanced reservations required.
- Meet Gray in the parking lot before the tour start time. The tour will leave promptly, so arrive in plenty of time. Guests who arrive after the tour has departed will be asked to leave the property.
- Guests must stay with the guide at all times.
- Please dress appropriately for exploring the outdoors.
- Wear appropriate footwear and bring a bottle of water and sunscreen.
- Joseph’s tours can run up to two hours. Be prepared to walk at an easy pace, with breaks, for that length of time.
- Alnoba’s buildings are closed. Walkers may use the portable restroom in our parking lot.
- No dogs are permitted on the property.
- This is a walking tour only – no bicycles.
Refund and weather policy
Tickets are non-refundable. Please note that all events at Alnoba are rain or shine. If an event is cancelled due to extreme weather you will receive an email notification. If you do not get an email notifying you that the event is cancelled, that means the event is still going forward as scheduled.
Your ticket purchase supports getting kids outside
All proceeds from these events go to support Kensington’s Sawyer Park. This public park is 30+ acres of safe, beautifully-maintained space where families from across the Seacoast gather to meet, play and enjoy the outdoors. All proceeds from this event are donated and ticket sales are therefore nonrefundable.